A woman alleges Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer strangled her unconscious and punched her, leaving her with injuries that needed to be treated in hospital. The woman made the allegations in a domestic violence restraining order against the player filed on Monday.
Police are investigating the allegations, which are said to have occurred at Bauer’s home in Pasadena, California. However, in the order the woman says: “I am deeply concerned that no arrest has been made or charges filed.” She provides photos of her injuries, which she said required hospital treatment. They include bruises and scratches to her face.
In a copy of the order obtained by ESPN, she says she met Bauer on social media and after going to his house on 21 April and talking she agreed to have sex with him. She alleges he wrapped her hair around her neck and choked her unconscious.
Bauer and the woman continued to communicate after the incident and the player’s representatives have provided texts from her – that are not shown in the woman’s exhibits in the temporary ex parte restraining order responding in the affirmative to the pitcher asking about being choked and punched. The woman did the same when Bauer referenced slapping her in the face.
She says she agreed to go to Bauer’s house again on 16 May and they agreed to a “safe word” if she became uncomfortable. She alleged Bauer then choked her until she passed out. When she woke up she says: “Trevor began punching my face. This was the first punch I felt but it is very possible that Trevor had already been punching and scratching the right side of my face while I was unconscious.” She says that when she began crying Bauer comforted her and said: “I would never do those things to you if it wasn’t sexually.” She alleges that Bauer admitted to punching her when she was passed out.
Jon Fetterolf, Bauer’s co-agent, disputed the allegations that Bauer committed any nonconsensual violence. He said the two had “a brief and wholly consensual sexual relationship initiated” by the woman.
“Her basis for filing a protection order is nonexistent, fraudulent, and deliberately omits key facts, information, and her own relevant communications,” Fetterolf said. “Any allegations that the pair’s encounters were not 100% consensual are baseless, defamatory, and will be refuted to the fullest extent of the law.”
Bauer plans to deny the account at a 23 July hearing, according to his representatives.
Fetterolf claimed Bauer and the woman remained friendly in text messages after their encounters. He said Bauer became concerned and confused after the woman told him she had sought medical care for a concussion days after their second and final encounter.
Major League Baseball is looking into the allegation.
“The Dodgers were made aware of the allegations against Trevor Bauer late this afternoon and immediately contacted MLB, which will be handling this matter,” the team said in a statement on Tuesday. “The Dodgers take any allegations of this nature very seriously, but will have no further comment at this time.”
The woman said she was afraid of going public with the allegations because of potential backlash from Bauer’s fans. But she said that “as the shock has worn off, I recognize the seriousness of the sexual assault I endured. I do not want Trevor to put anyone else through what I suffered.”
The 30-year-old Bauer joined his hometown Dodgers earlier this year and is considered one of the best pitchers in baseball.